Euthanasia is a gift we can give our beloved pets when they are suffering or terminally ill. Choosing euthanasia for our pets is also one of the hardest decisions we make in our entire lives. The articles we’ve collected in our Veterinary Wisdom® Resource Center help you make appropriate choices for you, your family, and your pets.
- Is It Time to Consider Pet Hospice or Euthanasia? (Checklist)
- Is Veterinary Pet Hospice Right For You?
- Talking to Your Veterinarian About Euthanasia
- Making the Decision to Euthanize Your Pet
- What to Expect If You Choose to Be With Your Pet During Euthanasia
- In Home Pet Euthanasia: What Should I Expect?
Free eBooks (Download PDF)
- Euthanasia: the guide for loving pet-owners by Laurie Thorton, DVM
- Helping Children Through a Pet’s Euthanasia by Dana Durrance, M.A.
- Saying Good Bye to Your Beloved Pet by Dana Durrance, M.A.
In-Home Pet Euthanasia Directory
A growing list, compiled by Dr. Kathleen Cooney, of in-home pet euthanasia services from across the country.
A network of licensed veterinarians who perform in-home euthanasia’s.
The Argus Institute
Information and counselors to help with decision making.
Online Pet Loss Resources
Pet Loss Helplines
Chicago Veterinary Medical Association Pet Loss Helpline
Cornell University Pet Loss Support Line
(staffed by Cornell veterinary students, Wednesdays 6-9pm EST; Sundays 12-3pm EST)
Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline
6-9 EST Mon-Fri; 24 hour voicemail (staffed by trained student volunteers)
Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital
970-297-1242 (leave a voicemail and someone will return your call)
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others, call 1-800-273-8255 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Capture the Love ClayPaws Gift Kits
- Large Capture the Love ClayPaws Gift Kits
- ClayPaws HoofPrint Kit
- Paw Print Urns
While World by the Tail, Inc. does our best to screen and offer counselors and resources of the highest quality and standards, we do not endorse or accept responsibility for the individuals or organizations listed here. The use of internet or telephone pet loss support resources are not intended to replace consults with local physicians, veterinarians, or qualified mental health professionals.
**These resources are updated frequently. We check to be sure the numbers and links we provide you with are the most current we can. If you find that a link or a number does not work, please let us know so we can correct it! –Last updated 6/8/2021