Baking is easy!
To Bake a Paw Print:
- Prints should always be baked in a well-ventilated oven and area and for best results bake within 4 weeks.
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 275º F (135º C). (For altitudes above 5,000 feet, increase temperature to 295º F.) Please use a separate oven thermometer to be sure your oven’s temperature is accurate.
- Place your print in a clean, ungreased baking dish and place in your preheated oven or toaster oven to bake for 20 minutes. The print will not look any different after it is baked properly. Baking simply “sets” the impression so it is permanently preserved. Do not bake in a microwave oven.
- Remove the baking dish promptly from your oven and allow the print to cool to room temperature before touching. Your print will continue to harden as it cools. After the print has cooled, gently work a spatula under the edge of the print to loosen. It’s normal for your print to seem “stuck” to the dish but, once it is cooled, your print will easily “pop” loose.
- If desired, finish the print with decorations like ribbons*, finishing glaze*, or items that can be glued to the surface. If you paint your print, please use 100% water-based acrylic paint. Please do not use any kind of aerosol spray.
- Baked clay may be carved or sanded.
- Prints may be displayed in a variety of ways including hanging or table-top display easels*, shadow boxes, or frames.
*Craft Oven, Ribbons, Finishing Glaze, Display Easels and other items available in our online store.
For answers to more questions visit our FAQ page!
To learn more about why choosing an oven-bake clay for paw print making is important, read our blog post: Clay for Paw Print Making: Choose Oven-Bake
Products to help with baking: